Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time to start a new chapter....

Well, Nov 5, 2010 will either be a day that haunts me or the best day ever.  I had three very interesting years in my job and then three months wondering what would come next, before learning my fate that day.  Let me first step back a little.

After ten successful years at Binghamton University, I had the opportunity to lead the athletics external team at Towson University.  In that time we made some progress, despite some struggles.  Personally, I commuted for two years waiting for our house in NY to sell.  Finally in Aug 2009 with the house sold, my family moved to Sparks, MD.  Ten months later, my boss resigned and life became a little unsettled.  We moved forward through the summer preparing for another year.

Finally in September, a new boss was announced and started in late October.  The on Nov 5th I was told that the new boss was restructuring and that there was no position for me.  Closing my Towson University chapter.

Since a great deal of my life has centered around sports, it reminded me of being at bat in the bottom of the last inning with runner on and two strikes, looking for a fastball and getting a curve.  When those unexpected things happen there are many ways you can go.  Despite bitter disappointment, I always tried to learn something from the experience.  Even if that something was no more than, " you know what, he got the better of me and it just wasn't meant to be."

So as I try to write the next chapter of my book, I have actually been very at ease with what has happened.  Despite a big curveball, I have learned that I have a lot of friends at the University and in the Athletics industry that are supportive and willing to help.  I also understand that with the holidays, I will have some time to unwind, destress, and enjoy the time with my family.  For as long as I can remember, holiday's always seemed to be cut short to be at some game or some meeting.  Not this year.  There will be plenty of time to enjoy family, friends and the spirit of the season.

During this time off, I plan to work hard to start my next chapter, spend time with my family and do some writing that will hopefully continue through my next at bat when hopefully I can find a way to beat the pitcher and hit his curveball.

No comments:

Post a Comment