A good friend once told me that it is best to be looking for a job when you are in a job that you enjoy. That same friend said that the hardest time to look is when you are in a job you don't like or without a job. This seemed to be a pretty easy concept to understand, but one that not a lot of people heed. Sure it is clear that you don't want to have to put yourself in the position where you have to take the first thing available, even though it might not be what you want. When there are bills to pay, people to feed and a home to maintain, you take what you can get, not what you really want.
Yesterday I was fortunate enough to have an interview for a very good position that would be fantastic to get. I had done my research, reviewed the position, the people I was meeting with and the organization. I have spent the last 20 years meeting new people, talking about my work, and making presentations; it is what I do. The development industry is about going to meet people and build a relationship with them, that has never been an issue for me. Sure, I like everyone else, I get that nervous excitement about the outcome but I feel really comfortable talking in front of people. I have also done numerous interviews and am very comfortable with my work history.
As yesterday morning came around, I was finding my nerves acting up more than ever. During my final prep work, it started to hit me how different this interview was feeling. It had been twenty years since I had gone into an interview without having a job and one that I liked. Twenty years ago I was still in college with over two months until graduation and no real responsibilities. Yesterday, I knew there were not many jobs out there, every day brought me closer to having no more paychecks coming, having to pay for insurance and many other concerns. While we will be fine for a few months to come, I felt that pressure to be perfect to make sure that I did my best. It was really strange to feel that way before doing something that is normally so comfortable. It is amazing how things change as your responsibilities change - not a big surprise.
As it turned out, once I got in there I was completely comfortable and felt that it all went well. I think that it was actually good to have that extra nervousness. It helped me understand the importance of networking, of professional growth, of being prepared for whatever may come. As I have realized, some times things do not go your way and you have to learn how to react. All you can do is your best. I am sure that as other interviews come up, I will continue to get nervous knowing that I have to find something. Hopefully, my experience of yesterday will make me more prepared for what will come.
No comments:
Post a Comment