Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Letting go of concerns - a critical activity.

As I sat in Mass on Sunday morning at Our Lady of Grace in Parkton, MD, the priest was discussing the concerns that we have in life.  He had attended the blessing of the hounds at St. James School and was discussing how people who were attending seemed to have set aside all cares while at the event.  It struck me that maybe that was the same reason that I always liked Thanksgiving.

Unlike other holidays, where there always seems to be pressure to find the right gift, be at all the holiday parties, stay up to watch the ball drop, or abstain from certain foods.  While there is nothing wrong with any of these things, it does place additional strain on people.  These concerns weigh on them every year.  At thanksgiving, the goal is usually to eat lots of food, enjoy the company of friends, watch some football or play it, and then eat some more.  This places little concern on people outside of cooking and cleaning the dishes - although I have found cooking the turkey and making the stuffing very relaxing.

I can fondly remember coming home from Hamilton College know that while I only had a few days at Thanksgiving break, I also had little else to do.  Hanging out with family and high school friends were both easy to do and very familiar.  It was a very relaxing time, with little concern.  Even today, the kids had no homework, no place they had to be and little to do but relax and enjoy family and friends.  It was a great four day weekend.

While sitting in church, I also remembered how relaxing I always found the time in church.  It was another great time to forget about certain concerns and just relax and listen to the readings, homilies and sing.  Singing in church was always very soothing and something I greatly enjoyed.  I think that was why I attended so frequently in college, it was a great release and escape from all exterior concerns that seemed to take over some times.  It was great to be able to set that aside, focus on something that was both healing and comforting.

I think we all need to find ways to let go of those concerns we carry with us every day.  The weigh on us and make it that much harder to see through the clutter to focus on what is really important.  As I look back on this Thanksgiving holiday, I am thankful for the calm and the chance to let go of those concerns for a while and truly enjoy time with family and friends.  I hope that each of you were able to do the same thing, especially as the stress of the end of the year approaches where we always have to much to do and not enough time to do it.  Try to find time to set those concerns aside, however you are able to do that - may it be church, a walk, some meditation or some other means. This will help you better enjoy the upcoming holidays.  So give thanks and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment